St Mary Magdalene
St Mary Magdalene, The Street, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, OX10 8EA
The church was originally built in the early 12th century, possibly as the chapel of a leper colony under the care of Wallingford Priory. In 1140, it was used as a fortified post by King Stephen in his wars with Matilda who held Wallingford Castle.
Cannon ball holes
During the Civil War it was used by Cromwell’s men to shelter from the Royalists (there are cannon ball holes in the vestry door to prove it!).
For a number of years, we have been hoping to have a toilet at the church. Now that the church is open every day during daylight hours, this would serve the wider community as well as providing much needed facilities for hosting concerts, school services, weddings, christenings and funerals in addition to our Sunday worship. Therefore, we are currently planning to convert the old choir vestry into a disabled toilet and hopefully also a servery for refreshments to make best use of the new plumbing.